Friday, March 4, 2011

Unboxing the Canon HV40

In an unrelenting effort to go totally HD I purchased a Canon HV40 for my company. This gives me a total of three HD cameras for wedding production. I have an HV30, HV40 and Flip Ultra HD.

During weddings I use the Flip to catch angles by hiding it in the floral arrangement or on a balcony. With the new HV40 we now have two HD cameras to shoot with and run & gun. Even the quality in SD is amazing on both the HV30 and 40!

This has been a long time coming and finally I feel I have an arsenal worthy of all I do with video. My older Panasonic DVC20 is still a workhorse and it will be retired to playback duty and occasional SD shoots. Don't get me wrong, I love the DVC20 but it has some hours on it and doesn't compare to the quality of the Canons.

The DVC20 was larger and a bit bulky for Edith to handle, but it was a pro camera and had many good features. I plan to keep it for a while.

When shooting weddings we use Weifeng 717 tripods for the ceremony and MAGIX Video Pro X to mix the camera video using it's built in Multi-cam feature. Having two matched cameras will make that effort much easier. Both Canons shoot the same HD resolution and are matched in color quality.

It was a proud moment to un-box the Canon HV40 and add it to my video arsenal. I mark this as another milestone in my business and I'm looking forward to editing footage with both cameras!
Below is video after the camera arrived. I waited to open it so Edith could see it, she decided to film the occasion with the Flip. And i might add that the progress and success of me and my business would not be possible without the continued love and support I get from my wife. Edith you are the best!

No comments: